Maang tikka, as the name suggests, is a jewelry meant to be worn on the forehead. It is very popularly seen in weddings, worn by brides and also has a sacred meaning, implying a woman’s marital status. However, these days any woman is free to wear a Maang tikka. The design of a Maang tikka is such that it has a chain that is hooked in the hair and a pendant like design falling on the forehead. This is the most basic style and these days many innovations have been done in it.
STYLES OF MAANG TIKKA
The maangtika is a very innovative piece of jewelry as it is away from the common types of earrings and necklaces etc. There are very less styles of jewelry for the head and maangtika is one of those. It gives an extra edge to the wearer over others and is a piece that attracts others due to its beauty. Maangtika is a very smart jewelry as well because it helps in covering a broad forehead and also helps in adding length to the face so can compliment a round face very well. Here are some of the very popular maangtika styles to be worn in your next traditional function :
1. Single strand pendant Maang tikka: As the name suggests, a single strand Maang tikka is the one in which there is only one chain and a pendant falls at one end of the chain. This is the most basic and old design of a Maang tikka and goes with a simple outfit. It is most generally seen in gold and can have fancy pendants with different colored gems or sometimes even pears hanging.
2. Jhoomar Maang tikka : Jhoomar style Maang tikka mostly seen worn by Muslim brides. It is a unique style of Maang tikka which falls on the left side of the head instead of falling in the middle. These days a jhumar Maang tikka is also seen worn along with a normal Maang tikka which falls in the center. The jhumar Maang tikka gives a very royal touch to the bride’s look.
3. One teir maatha patti : A maatha patti is another style of Maang tika that has two additional chains on either sides and the pendant is attached to all the three. This style of Maang tika helps in covering a broad forehead best. Its a little extra work to keep this Maang tika in place by using a lot of hair pins, but the result is completely worth it.
4. Borla maangtika : This Maang tika style is traditionally from Rajasthan. It has a very sleak chain attached to a spherical pendant that falls a little above the forehead. The pendant is generally crafted with pearls, rubies and crystals. It goes very well with a huge round nath (nose ring).
5. Chaand Maang tika : As the name describes, a chaand Maang tika is in the shape of a moon, i.e it is a round shaped Maang tikka. It is a huge round pendant that covers most part of the forehead. The basic material used in this jewelry piece is pearls and beautiful polki accents. The chain is relatively less heavy so that the main focus is on the beautiful pendant.
6. Maatha patti : This Maang tika type is similar to the one teir maatha patti but in this case the chains are much broader. The chains at the sides don’t fall on the forehead but exactly between the forehead and the hair. Again, it is a very good way to cover the broad forehead.